Dr. Esakki Karthik completed BSc and MSc in chemistry from Manonmanium Sundaranar University, Tamilnadu. Later he qualified CSIR-UGC-JRF examination, followed by completing a doctorate from CSIR-CECRI, Karaikudi under the guidance of Dr. K.L.N. Phani, during his doctorate program he completed an Indo-Australia (Monash University) joint project for developing water oxidation catalyst to generate hydrogen. His main interests are surface electrochemistry and the electrified interface. Later, he moved to IISER-Mohali, where he mainly worked in the area of waste to wealth generation for utilizing waste poly bags for useful applications and got a project from DST, the Indian government for developing a stable water oxidation catalyst. Then he was invited as a visiting professor to the University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy. Afterward, he joined in IISER-Thiruvananthapuram as a postdoctoral researcher for developing oxygen-based redox catalyst and electrochemistry of metal clusters. Next, he moved to the Hanyang University, Seoul, under Brain Korea-21 program, where he worked in electrochemical hydrogen generation and utilization of electronic wastes.
In August 2022, he joined the Research Institute of Sustainable Energy (RISE) under TCG CREST as a Research Scientist. Now, his interest is to achieve a sustainable society through developing fuel cell technology for energy storage, CO2 reduction for controlling green gas emissions, water electrolysis for hydrogen fuel generation, and electronic waste utilization for pollution-free society.
- Secured JOINT CSIR-UGC JRF & NET in chemical sciences
- Awarded National postdoctoral fellowship by SERB, India
- Invited as visiting professor by Brescia University, Italy
- Awarded a Postdoctoral fellowship in Hanyang University under Brain Korea scheme.
- Alternating Current Techniques for a Better Understanding of Photoelectrocatalysts, Pitchiah E. Karthik, Vasanth Rajendiran Jothi, Sudhagar Pitchaimuthu, SungChul Yi, and Sengeni Anantharaj, ACS Cat. 2021, 11, 20, 12763–12776.
- Enhanced Electrochemical Oxygen Evolution Reaction on Hydrogen Embrittled CoSe Surface, Pitchiah Esakki Karthik,Hashikaa Rajan,Vasanth Rajendiran Jothi,Min Jae Ko,Sung Chul Yi, Adv. Mat. Inter., 9,3, 2022.
- High and reversible oxygen uptake in carbon dot solutions generated from polyethylene facilitating reactant-enhanced solar light harvesting, Sanjit Mondal,Pitchiah E. Karthik, Lipipuspa Sahoo, Kaustav Chatterjee, M. Sathish, and Ujjal K. Gautam, Nanoscale, 2020,12, 10480-10490.
- Oxygen evolution reaction electrocatalyzed on a Fenton-treated gold surface, Pitchiah Esakki Karthik, Chinnaiah Jeyabharathi and Kanala Lakshminarasimha Phani, Chem. Commun., 2014,50, 2787-2790