Dr. Basudeb Datta
Honorary Adjunct Professor, IAI TCG CREST
Research and Education
Professor Datta was a Professor (HAG) at the Department of Mathematics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (Retired on 31st July 2022). His research interests include Combinatorial Topology, PL-Topology, Convex and Discrete Geometry. Prof. Datta obtained his Ph.D. in Mathematics (1988), Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, India (Thesis title: A Study of Mappings and Manifolds of Fueter, Hypercomplex and Almost Complex Types). He obtained a Certificate in Computer Programming in Fortran-IV (1986), Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta and M.Sc. in Pure Mathematics (1980), Calcutta University, India (First in First Class).
Awards and Achievements
- Elected Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India in 2014.
- Elected Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, India in 2009.
- Received Sir C. V. Raman Young Scientist Award 2001 of the Government of Karnataka.
- Delivered `26-th P. L. Bhatnagar Memorial Award Lecture’ in the 78-th Annual Conference of Indian Mathematical Society at BHU in January 2013.
- Received Gold Medal from Calcutta University, Calcutta for 1st rank in M. Sc., Pure Mathematics in 1980.
- Medal from the Department of Pure Mathematics, Calcutta University, Calcutta for the 1st rank in M. Sc. in 1980.
- Member of the Editorial Board, Lecture Notes Series, Ramanujan Mathematical Society from 2005 to 2013.
- Nandini Nilakantan – Thesis Title: Two dimensional weak pseudomanifolds with few vertices, 2001. (Currently, Nandini
Nilakantan is a Professor in IIT Kanpur.)
- Ashish Kumar Upadhyay – Thesis Title: Degree-regular triangulations of the torus, the Klein bottle and the double-torus, 2005. (Currently, Ashish Kumar Upadhyay is a Professor in BHU, Varanasi.)
- Nitin Singh – Thesis Title: On Walkup’s class of manifolds and tight triangulations, 2014. (Currently, Nitin Singh is a Researcher at the IBM Research Center, Bangalore.)
- Biplap Basak – Thesis Title: Minimal crystallizations of 3- and 4-manifolds, 2015. (Currently, Biplab Basak is an Assistant Professor in IIT Delhi.)
The publication list of Prof. Datta can be found here.