Dr. Nilanjan Datta
I am an assistant professor at IAI, TCG CREST. I work in the field of symmetric key cryptography with a special interest in the design and analysis of symmetric ciphers. My research interest primarily includes the design and analysis of authenticated encryption, lightweight cryptography, provable security, security analysis of symmetric modes, searchable encryption, etc. I am also interested in the cryptanalysis of primitives and symmetric quantum algorithms.
Education: I completed my Ph.D. and post-graduation in Computer Science from Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata. After Ph. D., I was an Institute Post Doctoral Fellow in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur for two years, and Lecturer cum Post Doctoral Fellow at R. C. Bose Centre for Cryptology and Security, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata for one and a half years. During my doctoral tenure I have spent two months in NTT Lab, Japan and two months in Fujitsu Laboratories of America for research collaboration.
Courses: Here is a list of the courses offered by me:
- Discrete Mathematics (First Year Research Scholars, IAI, TCG CREST) 2021-22
- Topics in Symmetric Key Cryptology – Advanced (First Year Research Scholars, IAI, TCG CREST) 2021-22
- Research Methodology (First Year Research Scholars, IAI, TCG CREST) 2020-21
- Advanced Cryptology (First Year Research Scholars, IAI, TCG CREST) 2020-21
- Discrete Mathematics (First Year Research Scholars, IAI, TCG CREST) 2020-21
- Automata and Formal Languages (First Year Research Scholars, IAI, TCG CREST) 2020-21
- Computing Systems Security I (First Year M.Tech CrS, ISI Kolkata) 2019-20
- Cryptology (Second Year M.Tech CS, ISI Kolkata) 2019-20
- Topics in Cryptology (Second Year M.Tech CrS, ISI Kolkata) 2019-20
Achievements: I am one of the co-designers of the misuse resistant authenticated encryption mode ELmD, which is currently named as COLM after merging with COPA. The design is selected as the winner in “Defense in Depth” category of CAESAR competition. This work is also invited for publication of a special issue on Journal of Cryptology. I am also a co-designer of the sponge based authenticated cipher Photon Beetle, which is one of the finalists of the ongoing NIST Lightweight Competition.
Publications: This is a list of important publications. Please refer to my DBLP for the full list of publications.
- Avik Chakraborti, Nilanjan Datta, Ashwin Jha, Cuauhtemoc Mancillas-Lopez, Mridul Nandi, Yu Sasaki, ESTATE: A Lightweight and Low Energy Authenticated Encryption Mode. IACR Trans. Symmetric Cryptol. 2020(S1): 350-389 (2020)
- Avik Chakraborti, Nilanjan Datta, Ashwin Jha, Snehal Mitragotri, Mridul Nandi, From Combined to Hybrid: Making Feedback-based AE even Smaller. IACR Trans. Symmetric Cryptol. 2020(S1): 417-445 (2020)
- Sikhar Patranabis, Nilanjan Datta, Dirmanto Jap, Jakub Breier, Shivam Bhasin, Debdeep Mukhopadhyay, SCADFA: Combined SCA+DFA Attacks on Block Ciphers with Practical Validations, IEEE Trans. Computers 68(10): 1498-1510 (2019)
- Donghoon Chang, Nilanjan Datta, Avijit Dutta, Bart Mennink, Mridul Nandi, Somitra Sanadhya, Ferdinand Sibleyras: Release of Unverified Plaintext: Tight Unified Model and Application to ANYDAE. IACR Trans. Symmetric Cryptol. 2019(4): 119-146 (2019)
- Avik Chakraborti, Nilanjan Datta, Mridul Nandi, Kan Yasuda, Beetle Family of Lightweight and Secure Authenticated Encryption Ciphers. IACR Trans. Cryptogr. Hardw. Embed. Syst. 2018(2): 218-241 (2018)
- Nilanjan Datta, Avijit Dutta, Mridul Nandi, Goutam Paul: Double-block Hash-then-Sum: A Paradigm for Constructing BBB Secure PRF. IACR Trans. Symmetric Cryptol. 2018(3): 36-92 (2018)
- Nilanjan Datta, Avijit Dutta, Mridul Nandi, Kan Yasuda: Encrypt or Decrypt? To Make a Single-Key Beyond Birthday Secure Nonce-Based MAC. CRYPTO (1) 2018: 631-661
- Ritam Bhaumik, Nilanjan Datta, Avijit Dutta, Nicky Mouha, Mridul Nandi: The Iterated Random Function Problem. ASIACRYPT (2) 2017: 667-697
- Lilian Bossuet, Nilanjan Datta, Cuauhtemoc Mancillas-López, Mridul Nandi: ELmD: A Pipelineable Authenticated Encryption and Its Hardware Implementation. IEEE Trans. Computers 65(11): 3318-3331 (2016)
- Avik Chakraborti, Nilanjan Datta, Mridul Nandi: INT-RUP Analysis of Block-cipher Based Authenticated Encryption Schemes. CT-RSA 2016: 39-54
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail) / 79807 20012 (mobile)