Instructors: Dr. Nilanjan Datta, Dr. Arpita Maitra, Dr. Debolina Ghatak, Prof. Goutam Mukherjee, Prof. Rana Barua
The primary objectives of this course are to enable researchers, irrespective of their discipline, in developing the most appropriate methodology for their research studies; and to make them familiar with the art of using different research methods and techniques. The learner should be able to get a guideline on how to write, publish, present, and review scientific papers. It is hoped that the course will assist in the accomplishment of exploratory as well as result-oriented research studies.
- Module I: Motivation, Types of Research, Background, Time and Effort management, Role of a Supervisor, Finding and Solving Problems.
- Module II: Reading and Writing Scientific Papers Efficiently, Publishing and Reviewing Papers, Preparing Good Presentations, Scientific Norms and Conventions, Collaborative Works.
- Module III: Mathematical Abstraction, On the Role of Intuition in Research.
- Module IV: Sampling Design, Measurement and scaling Techniques, Methods of Data Collections, Processing and Analysis of Data, Testing of Hypothesis I, Chi-square Test, Analysis of variance and co-variance, Testing of Hypothesis II, Multivariate Analysis Techniques.
Class Materials (Slides / Notes)
Module I (Dr. Arpita Maitra):
- Slides: [An Introduction to Research Methodology]
- Slides: [Role of a Supervisor]
- Slides: [Role and Responsibilities of a Student]
- Slides: [Time and Effort Management]
- Slides: [Time and Effort Management (contd.)]
Module II (Dr. Nilanjan Datta):
- Slides: [Reading Scientific Papers Efficiently]
- Slides: [Writing Scientific Papers Efficiently – I]
- Slides: [Writing Scientific Papers Efficiently – II]
- Slides: [Publishing A Scientific Paper]
- Slides: [Reviewing A Scientific Paper]
Module III (Prof. Goutam Mukherjee and Prof. Rana Barua):
- Notes: [Abstraction in Mathematics]
- Board-work: [Category Theory I ]
- Board-work: [Category Theory II]
Module IV (Dr. Debolina Ghatak):
- Presentation (Mid-sem): May 10-11, 2022
- Review Paper 1: June 15, 2022
- Review Paper 2: June 30, 2022
- Presentation (End-sem)
- Write-up (End-sem)