The research program in the Cryptography and Security group at IAI TCG-CREST focuses on the theoretical as well as the applied aspect of Cryptology and Security research. The long-term objective of the group is to carry out top-notch academic and industrial research in the field of theoretical and applied Cryptography and Security and to bring out the future generation leading crypto experts by the means of providing rigorous training in the field. Alongside, the plan is to carry out successful collaboration with industries and government agencies for innovation and international accolades. The group mostly, but is not restricted to, works in the following areas of specialization in Cryptology and Security.
- Light-Weight Cryptography
- Provable Security of Symmetric Key Cryptography
- Design and Analysis of Authenticated Ciphers
- Beyond Birthday Bound Security of Symmetric key cryptographic primitives
- Symmetric key Cryptanalysis
- Symmetric Searchable Encryption
- Secure Cloud Computing
- Blockchain Technology
- Quantum Cryptography and Quantum Computation
- Lattice-based Cryptography
- Post-Quantum Cryptography
- White-Box Cryptography
We are expecting to include more topics in the future pertinent to the cryptography and security area depending upon the requirement and global innovations. In particular, we are aiming to contribute to the area of network security.
Cryptology and Quantum Group
The group is mentored by Prof. Bimal Kr Roy and Prof. Subhamoy Maitra. The members of the group are listed below.
- Prof. Rana Barua, Emeritus Professor
- Dr. Avik Chakraborti, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Nilanjan Datta, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Avijit Dutta, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Arpita Maitra, Associate Professor
- Prof. Mridul Nandi, Honorary Adjunct Faculty
- Dr. Subhabrata Samajder, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Laltu Sardar, Post-Doctoral Fellow
The following students are working on the Cryptology and Security group.
Research Courses on Cryptology
In the last two years, we have offered the following research courses on Cryptology for our first and second-year Ph.D. students:
- Cryptology (Instructors: Dr. Nilanjan Datta and Dr. Subhabrata Samajder)
- Cryptology (Instructors: Dr. Nilanjan Datta and Dr. Avijit Dutta)
- Advanced Cryptology (Instructors: Dr. Avijit Dutta and Dr. Avik Chakraborti)
- Quantum Computation and Quantum Cryptography (Instructor: Dr. Arpita Maitra)
- Cryptology (Instructors: Prof. Rana Barua and Dr. Arpita Maitra)
- Advanced Cryptography (Instructors: Dr. Avijit Dutta and Dr. Bimal Mandal)
- Symmetric Key Cryptology – Advanced (Instructors: Dr. Nilanjan Datta and Dr. Avijit Dutta)
- Quantum Computation and Quantum Cryptography (Instructor: Dr. Arpita Maitra)
- Quantum Computation and Quantum Cryptography – Advanced (Instructor: Dr. Arpita Maitra)
- A Reading Course on Lattice based Cryptography (Instructor: Dr. Avijit Dutta)
International Conferences and Workshops Organized
INDOCRYPT 2022: We have organized Indocrypt 2022, a part of the Indocrypt series organized under the aegis of the Cryptology Research Society of India. Indocrypt conference targets researchers and academicians in the areas, which include but are not limited to foundations, new cryptographic primitive proposals, cryptanalysis, security models, cryptographic protocols, quantum/post-quantum cryptography, etc.
Cryptographic Workshops Organized:
- Dr. Nilanjan Datta and Dr. Avik Chakraborti have been selected as the assistant secretary of Cryptology Research Society of India.
- Dr Arpita Maitra is working as a PI in two classified projects related to Quantum Random Number Generation, Quantum Key Distribution and Quantum Cryptanalysis on Symmetric Ciphers.
- Prof. Rana Barua, Dr. Nilanjan Datta and Dr. Avijit Dutta are working on a private project on “Attribute Based Encryption”.
- Dr. Avijit Dutta is selected in the Editorial Board of IACR Transactions on Symmetric key Cryptology (ToSC 2022/2023 and 2023/2024).
- Dr. Nilanjan Datta is one of Organizing co-chair of INDOCRYPT 2022.
- Dr. Nilanjan Datta, Avijit Dutta and Arpita Maitra are added in the Program Committee of INDOCRYPT 2022.
Here is a list of important publications from our group.
- B. Cogliati, A. Dutta, M. Nandi, J. Patarin, A. Saha: Proof of Mirror Theory for a Wide Range of \xi_max. Eurocrypt 2023.
- N. Datta, A. Dutta, M. Nandi, S. Talnikar: Tight Multi-user Security of DbHtS. Transactions on Symmetric Cryptology, 2023(1), 192–223. Doi: https://doi.org/10.46586/tosc.v2023.i1.192-223
- S. S. Chaudhury, A. Samanta, A. Maitra: Quantum Attribute-based Encryption – A Comprehensive Study. Quantum Information Processing 2023.
- N. Datta, A. Dutta, C. Mancilias Lopez: LightMAC: Fork it and make it faster. Advances in Mathematics of Communications 2023.
- A. Bhattacharjee, R. Bhaumik, A. Dutta, M. Nandi, A. Ray Chaudhuri: BBB Security for 5-Round Even-Mansour-Based Key-Alternating Feistel Ciphers. Design Codes and Cryptography, 2023.
- A. Bhattacharjee, R. Bhaumik, A. Dutta, E. List: Beyond Birthday Bound Secure Permutation Based AE in Faulty Nonce Model. ICICS’23.
- A. Dutta, M. Nandi, S. Talnikar: Tight Security Analysis of the Public Permutation-Based PMAC Plus. Advances in Mathematics of Communications 2023.
- L. Sardar, B. Sengupta, S. Ruj: Efficient Keyword Search on Encrypted Dynamic Cloud Data. American Institute of Mathematical Sciences 2023. Doi: 10.3934/amc.2022101
- N. Datta, A. Dutta, S. Ghosh: INT-RUP Security of SAEB and TinyJAMBU. INDOCRYPT 2022.
- S. S. Chaudhury, S. Dutta: Quantum Multi-Secret Sharing via Trap Codes and Discrete Quantum Walks. Quantum Information Processing (2022).
- A. Bhattacharjee, A. Chakraborti, N. Datta, C. Mancillas-López, M. Nandi: ISAP+: ISAP with Fast Authentication. INDOCRYPT 2022.
- J. Basak, K. Chakraborty, A. Maitra, S. Maitra: A Proposal for Device Independent Probabilistic Quantum Oblivious Transfer. INDOCRYPT 2022.
- B. Chatterjee, R. Parikh, A. Maitra, S. Maitra, A. Roy: Revisiting BoolTest – On Randomness testing using Boolean functions. INDOCRYPT 2022.
- A. Dutta, M. Nandi, A. Saha: Proof of Mirror Theory for \xi_max=2, IEEE Transactions of Information Theory 2022.
- A. Bhattacharjee, A. Dutta, E. List, M. Nandi: CENCPP* – Beyond-birthday-secure Encryption from Public Permutations, Design Codes and Cryptography 2022.
- Y. Chen, A. Dutta, M. Nandi: Multi-user BBB Security of Public Permutations Based MAC, Cryptography and Communications 2022.
- N. Datta, A. Dutta, K. Dutta: Improved Security Bound of (E/D)WCDM, IACR Transactions on Symmetric Cryptology 2021 (4): 138 – 176. [Link]
- T. SAPV, D. Bera, A. Maitra, S. Maitra: Quantum Algorithms for Cryptographically Significant Boolean Functions, Springer Briefs in Computer Science, Springer, 2021, ISSN 2191-5768, ISBN 978-981-16-3060-6. [Link]
- A. Dutta, M. Nandi, S. Talnikar: Permutation Based EDM: An Inverse Free BBB Secure PRF. IACR Trans. Symmetric Cryptol. 2021(2): 31-70 (2021).
- A. Chakraborti, N. Datta, A.Jha, C.M. Lopez, M. Nandi: tHyENA: Making HyENA Even Smaller. INDOCRYPT 2021: 26 – 48. [Link]
- R. Anand, A. Maitra, S. Maitra, C. S. Mukherjee, S. Mukhopadhyay: Quantum Resource Estimation for FSR based Symmetric Ciphers & Related Grovers Attacks. INDOCRYPT 2021: 179 – 198. [Link]
- A. Chakraborti, N. Datta, A.Jha, C.M. Lopez, M. Nandi, Y. Sasaki: Elastic-Tweak: A Framework for Short Tweak Tweakable Block Cipher. INDOCRYPT 2021: 114 – 137. [Link]
- A. Dutta: Minimizing the Two-Round Tweakable Even-Mansour Cipher. ASIACRYPT (1) 2020: 601-629
- R. Anand, A. Maitra, S. Mukhopadhyay: Grover on SIMON, Quantum Information Processing, Vol-19, number-340, (2020), (SCIE, Impact Factor 2.283). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11128-020-02844-w.
- A. Dutta, M. Nandi: BBB Secure Nonce Based MAC Using Public Permutations. AFRICACRYPT 2020, pp 172-191 (2020).
- R. Anand, A. Maitra, S. Mukhopadhyay: Evaluation of Quantum Cryptanalysis on SPECK, Progress in Cryptology INDOCRYPT 2020, pp 395-413. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 12578, Springer.
- J. Dave, A. Dutta, P. Faruki, V. Laxmi, M. S. Gaur: Secure Proof of Ownership Using Merkle Tree for Deduplicated Storage. Autom. Control. Comput. Sci. 54(4): 358-370 (2020).